Tuesday 19 January 2010

--FLYING FRINGING--

The moment I saw this ad campaign for Coven (some Portugese clothing company I think) I was reminded of the shoot below for British Vogue a while back-Lily Donaldson by Nick Knight. Now, crazy as it sounds, this was the first time I had heard of Nick Knight, and I thought maybe he was an up-and-coming photographer recently introduced to the Vogue stable, so I looked him up on the internet and was humbled to see his huge variety of work and the impact he's had on the industry. Although he's not one of my favourite few photographers, I admire many of his photographs and also his huge amount of innovation which has prompted changes in the way the fashion industry works (showstudio.com was one of the first major online fashion sites, and as far as I know he was the first one to come up with the idea of streaming collections online, although I could be wrong about this). The way he seamlessly blends fashion with art, technology and just generally the wider world of 'pop culture' is formidable and his standing in the fashion world is, I believe, unique.

So yeah, just a few thoughts that were prompted by this random ad campaign! (I haven't actually looked at their collection to see what it's like, I have to learn a whole chunk of Virgil's Aeneid for Latin Literature this afternoon sooo not really any time to go delving into background research...)






Coven



Lily Donaldson by Nick Knight

(studdedhearts.blogspot.com; fashionindie.com)

No comments: