Saturday 28 November 2009

Hot Metal

I only bought Pop recently as I have been attempting in vain to stock up money for Christmas. FAIL. There are so many lovely editorials in the magazine, which will no doubt find their way on here eventually, but this morning I was having another flick through and was struck (again) by the strong sense of beauty and grace these photos convey, especially the second one. It's one of those photographs which tell a multitude of stories. Usually I disagree with the phrase 'a picture paints a thousand words', because although yes, one picture can convey an awful lot more than one word can, even a sentence or two read by a hundred people will evoke a hundred different interpretations, whereas with visual representations everyone has the same thing shoved down their throats. (You can see why my favourite subjects are ones which include long essay-writing, and why I dropped art as soon as I possibly could). But I find myself transfixed by said second photo-is she mourning? Contemplating? Slumped with defeat and yet radiating determination by the strong set of her neck? Or merely just striking an interesting pose which will best display her rather lovely jewellery collection? I guess we'll never know.



No comments: